Monday, November 30, 2009

Back from China


So I returned from China and my dad wanted to talk to me. He decides to do this in the guise of 'training' me -- basically going into the fitness room and working out.
One thing that gets overlooked about my father is how maniacal he is about staying in shape. As crazy as he is about music (and let's face it, he is nuts about it), he's just as much of a stickler for working out. It's a regimen he began in his teens and he continued well into adult and now elderhood. I do think it's his secret to maintaining his vitality.
"Savannah, I need to know," dad began, "just exactly what your occupation is. What is your job title?"
"At the cemetery or --"
"With the trips. Not even two simdays after you left Egypt you were called to China. Care to clue me in?"


"Gotta tell you, dad --" I said, "I'm an adventurer. There. I said it."
"But princess, there's got to be more than that. You're not just wandering willy-nilly about the globe doing nothing."
"I'm an archeologist," I told him, "I study ancient civilizations. And --"
"Whatever it is you're doing it's certainly making you happy. I've never seen you like this, you're positively glowing.
"Sometimes my adventures require me to go down in tombs older than all of us put together and retrieve valuable and ancient relics. I'm having a blast, really. I'm meeting new people and learning a lot of new things."


He continued the conversation in my bedroom. We were watching the Llamas' big football game against their archrivals. Poor dad was going hoarse yelling at the TV. "You know that was interference!" He then turned serious. "You know, princess, I've always said that as long as you're happy then I'm happy. It's clear to me that your restlessness and curiosity have led you to pursue this unusual career path, one you obviously love." After the football game, he turned to some sappy love movie, and I heard a lot of his guitar riffs in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment