Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The aftermath (continued)


I kinda figured mom was bluffing when she promised she'd make me live to regret what I did at the wedding. But she wasn't kidding. She actually threatened to kick me out of the house. I told her I would only leave when I get ready, and it looks as though it'll be sooner rather than later.
But I don't regret what I did at the wedding and would do it again if given half a chance.
Still, I did take one piece of her advice and get a job -- but not where you'd think I'd get one. I mean, as the daughter of two musicians (and famous ones at that), you'd think I'd be a shoo-in for a gig at the theater that now bears my dad's name. But I didn't get a job there. I could have gone over to Doo Peas and gotten a job there, too, in business or journalism. Problem is, for starters, I can't see myself sitting at a desk all day, and the nine-to-five grind simply bores me.
I got a job for no other reason than the fact that I simply did not want to be sitting around the house all day. As it is, I'm working weeknights from 6 to 9. I really don't give a damn what the town gossips say.
Yes, I work at the cemetery. Nathan Plumb's daughter is an undertaker. Put that in your pipe and smoke it for a second. I can't see myself doing it for the rest of my life, but as far as for right now, absolutely.
Of course, I haven't told any of this to mom or dad. But I came real close to telling it to dad. Really, really close. But no cigar.


Dad and I were down in his basement playing foosball at the foosball table. It was just him and me, no bothersome brothers or meddling mothers around.
"You know, Savannah, your mother really is quite upset over your rendition of the 'Love Serenade' at your brother's wedding."
"I don't see why. What's the point?"
"Her issue is that you performed it without asking Noah or Sadie for permission."
"Judging by the way they were dancing along with everyone else, they liked it, too."
Dad smiled. "You know, half the battle in life is taking your opportunities when they present themselves, knowing how to seize the moment. You're like me in that respect -- you instinctively know how to seize the moment. I actually liked your rendition of the Serenade."
I blushed. Coming from him, knowing that he knows his notes backwards and forwards, that was a huge compliment.
Then Dad went into one of his infamous soliloquies. He doesn't talk very much about his beginnings, but I know he wasn't born wealthy or famous. "You know, Savannah, I first got into the music biz because of an opportunity that presented itself. I was playing guitar in the park when someone -- turns out to have been a talent scout -- came up to me and handed me their business card. He called the next day after having arranged a private audition for me. And the rest is history."
I thought about what might have happened if the talent scout hadn't discovered my dad.


But he continued. I'd heard a lot of stories, but not a lot about this aspect of dad's life. "When I first started with the symphony, there were a few people who, quite frankly, weren't sure how to take having a farmer's son in their ranks. It was like I was poison. They didn't want me to touch their instruments, sit in their chairs, or socialize after hours with them."
"Sounds stifling," I told them. I didn't tell him I think I would have gone off on some of those folks.


"My clothes raised a few eyebrows amongst the privileged set, too. But I kept at it. I made them accept me. I wasn't going to change for them -- they'd have to change their attitudes towards me. And they did."
"Dad," I asked him, "why did you go into the symphony?"
He laughed. "You know what, I'm still not entirely sure. I do think it had a little to do with my mother. She played classical music all the time in the house."
"Dad," I told him, "you should write a book."
"You know what, I actually started it, but I never really had the time or the motivation to finish it."
"I'll help."
"I know you would, dear, but it's kinda something I need to do on my own."
"Dad -- I want to, really. Kind of a collaborative project. I know Aunt Margaret researched the English and Welsh part of our family, but the Sunset branch -- our branch -- that's our job."

No comments:

Post a Comment