Sunday, October 18, 2009

A Day with Cheesebutt -- Part Two


I could feel the chill in the air as I approached the Cheesman house, which, ironically enough, turns out to have been the same house Dad and Aunt Margaret rented together while our house was being built.



I waited about half an hour outside until Cheesebutt finally stepped out the door, only to offer a curt 'hi' and a handshake. Seriously, a handshake???? Is that all ya got, buster?



I sat down next to his mother while she was watching The Young and the Hopeless on broadcast TV. They don't have cable, much less the hi-def I'm used to watching at my house. Lynn Sweeney said she moved her son out of England to escape his father.
"Savannah, is it?" she asked sweetly in a thick British accent. It reminded me, somewhat, of Aunt Margaret's except hers is tinged in Simlish.
"Yeah."
"Lovely name. Andy told me about you. Said you were really smart, probably the smartest girl in his class."
He said that???



"Savannah -- didn't expect to see you here today."
"Yeah, well, don't get used to it, pal. I figured I didn't have anything else to do."
"So, what, you didn't get an invite to your parents' dinner party?"
I rolled my eyes. "Do I look like I'm dressed for any damn dinner party?"
He looked surprised that I'd let a curse word slip between my teeth, but I continued. "Seriously, where'd you think I was when my baby brother was born? Yep, I was at the cemetery getting bruises on my tush from exploring the catacombs."
Andy's eyes fell wide open. "Whoa."
"In three-inch heels, no less. I'm tougher than I look, you know."
"You know what, Savannah Plumb -- you're not half bad. Even though you're still a spoiled rotten little brat."
"And you, Cheesebutt, are still a pain in the rear." I asked him if he wanted to go fishing, but he said he was getting ready to go to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment