Thursday, October 22, 2009

The day after Part 1


I cried myself to sleep in Aunt Margaret's room, in her bed. I didn't even have the heart to go upstairs in my own bed. Dad has said that it's mine for as long as I wish it, although it will likely be redecorated to my taste.


We had an incredibly close relationship. In many ways she was like my second mother. Now that she's gone, I'm not sure I know how I can endure.



Dad told me that I could skip school today, but somehow, I'm not sure Aunt Margaret would want me to. I decided, probably against my better judgment, to go.
It was the hardest day of my life. I couldn't concentrate, all I could think about was Aunt Margaret. Everybody sensed that I seemed distracted. Of course, it was bittersweet that today I found out I was in the running for valedictorian, along with Cassidy Reynolds (the brown-noser) and Lawrence Lum, and the scholarship that comes with it. I'm not sure how I got in the running, though, but I was a straight-A student until I got to high school.



I went home, changed clothes, and went through the motions at work. Then, in a fog, I went to the art gallery. Somehow immersing myself in the beauties of the brushmasters soothes me when I'm down.



Ari, of course, spotted me there. "I knew I'd find you here," she'd said.
"Why would you be looking for me?"
"You weren't at the lit club meeting today, I was wondering what happened. I actually thought you wouldn't talk to me after what I said the other day."
I shook it off.
"My aunt died."
"Meg Plumb? She-- she's -- she's dead?"
I nodded.
"When?"
"Last night, after dinner. The Reaper showed up while she was taking a dump."
"Boy, what a way to go, eh?"
"It's strange. I mean, she -- she's gone now. I miss her."
Ari reached for me and gave me a hug. "Savannah, I'm really sorry. Really, I am."

No comments:

Post a Comment