Monday, October 26, 2009

Darrel part 2


Well, I think I got some of that sense knocked into my head. Darrel called me a spoiled rotten little brat, then raised his hand to hit me, after I'd befriended him.
"Look, I'm not Grace, you know," I told him. "You're not gonna get away with this. You'd better behave before I report you to the police. I have them on speed dial."


He tried to give me that sob story about his dad dying. I was, like, look, buster, I just lost my dear aunt. You don't see me acting that way. Plus, he put his hand to Grace BEFORE that happened so that's really no excuse.


Cooler heads prevailed and we settled down to do our trig homework. The only thing he managed to utter to me was, "You have a nice house."


Mom and dad came downstairs after hearing all the commotion. "What's going on?" dad asked. And I told him everything. A lot of my friends are jealous that my dad is so cool about these things. "I'll talk to him," he said.



After Darrel left, I went to the park where I met Ari, who was there with the lady she was staying with. I ended up telling her everything.
"Girl, you've really got it bad for this guy."
"I know, I mean, intellectually I know he's bad news, but still, there's something about him..." I let out a deep sigh.
"He needs to get over himself if he thinks he's gonna get a girlfriend by insulting folks. Maybe that's the only way he knows how to show affection. You don't know how he grew up."
"I suppose that is true --"
"I mean, Vanna, not everybody had a fairy-tale childhood like you did."
"Who says my childhood was a fairy tale?"
"Compared to mine it was! A lot of people, actually. You don't realize, girl, you had it real good."
I thought about it. I suppose I had a privileged life. My parents are both famous musicians and my aunt was a successful author. I never lacked for anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment