Sunday, March 1, 2015

Bassy's Side of the Story


I got a phone call yesterday.  It was Bassy.  My beloved baby brother.
He's not happy with me.  Apparently he got wind of my demand that he sign over his parental rights to Kady.  And I told him that I meant every word.
"You can't take my daughter, Vanna!" he yelled, but it didn't even seem convincing.
"Well, someone has to," I retorted. "You had, what, six years since you got custody, and what happened?" I retorted.  "She basically has not had a childhood."
He sighed.  There was silence on the other end.  Then, the tone of his voice changed from anger to resignation.
He admitted to me that he is actually overwhelmed with her.



 "I cannot keep enough mental stimulation in the house for her. She loves watching the History channel."


 "It was easy back in Starlight Shores when we had that huge library, she'd just go in there and read all day and all night, but since I don't have nearly as many books here, it's hard -"


"The night before I left to film my show, Kaydence and I had a huge fight... Vanna, I - I've never seen Kaydence like this. She was positively raging. I got flashbacks of Madison."


"There wasn't a thing I could do or say, Savannah, she completely went off. It was like a bomb exploded. There was no stopping her, no calming her down. I did everything but she continued..."



"She's so smart, Vanna - I can't believe sometimes how smart she is."


"It's like I'm walking on eggshells with her, Vanna.  Like I'm not good enough or something.  The only time she seems to be happy is when she's reading some thick book or working on some project. She doesn't really socialize with the other kids at school - I've heard that she socializes with their parents and the teachers."


 "Kaydence once spent an entire Saturday afternoon balancing my financial records, and then said afterwards that she had fun doing it." 

 "I think - I think if anyone can handle Kaydence, it'd probably be you."

I stood firm.  "Does that mean you're going to sign her over, Bassy?"
He didn't say yes.  But it seemed like he was considering it.


What am I thinking?  I've got enough problems with Sierra and Skylar and Sawyer... and now I add Kaydence to this mix? 
I will say this, though, the day she walked into our house and into our lives, none of us have been the same. 

No comments:

Post a Comment