Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Oasis Landing


When my daughter and my niece get together, they speak a different language.  It's certainly not Simlish.


On the surface, they have little in common.  Sierra hates makeup and dresses, Kady likes both.  In fact, Kady wears more makeup than I wear in a year.  I've actually never seen Kady without makeup, even when she sleeps.  She is a pop star's daughter, after all.  Sierra could care less for clothes, and Kady is something of a fashion maven.

Kady grew up in Starlight Shores, where all the performers and movie stars are.  Sierra spent most of her childhood and adolescence in Hidden Springs.

Sierra likes all manner of sports, and Kady seems allergic to them.

Sometimes I wonder if Sierra thinks Kady is just her annoying little cousin who follows her everywhere. 

So... what on earth could these two actually have in common?

I have two words for you... Oasis Landing.

 

There's normal bookworms, and then there's Kaydence.  This girl is addicted to the written word.  She's bought so many books from the store already that they gave her a lifetime discount card.


Absolutely no subject is too esoteric, too off limits, for her. Including, apparently, books on time travel.  There is nothing she won't read about



"Guess what?" Kady boasted to Sierra after Sierra came back from one of her team's practices.  "I read that book on time travel, and I did what you told me.  I opened the book, and pressed the button on the almanac.  It took me to the portal -"


"I told you it would work.  It's got to.  No one believes me, they think I'm crazy.  So, tell me, what did you see?"



"So I stepped to the portal and went inside..."


"Oh, my gosh, it was incredible!  Just like you said!  Everything was so clean and neat and perfect."


 "The first thing I wanted to check out was who had become the pioneer of plumbotics.  Then I saw Grandpa's statue... got goosebumps!"

 
"Then I took an advanced tech class and saw a show at the planetarium... I wish there was a planetarium here in Sunset Valley, I think I'd be there every night."


"I also took a course in bot building, I know you'd like that, eventually I'll be able to make my own."


"The next morning when I woke up, you know the blue-haired time traveler scientist guy, Relevart, right?"
"Yeah?"
"He came and sat next to me while I ate.  Recited my full name.  Told me my whole family history - where I was born, who my parents are, pretty much everything about me."
"Did that to me too," Sierra confirmed, "told me everything."

 
"You're the author, director, and screenwriter, Kaydence Westley-Plumb," he continued.
"I'm not an author," I laughed, "I'm still in high school -"
"Ah, but you will be, yet.  I've already read your memoir -"
"What memoir?"
"The one you started writing.  About your childhood in Starlight Shores as the daughter of an actor and a pop star."
"But I'm barely through the first chapter!"
"I've already read the last paragraph, Kaydence."  Emit gave a sly wink through his glasses.  "Of course, I already know what's in the memoir before you even write it."


"I even know that your mother tried to stop it from getting published.  She said it was all lies."
"So let me get this straight. I'm going to finish my book and my mom is going to try to stop it from getting published?"
Emit nodded.  "You know, there is a way you can publish it so that your mother doesn't know it's you.  Change all the names and details in it."
"So you're warning me beforehand?"
"I guess you could say that."
"But I'm telling the truth.  That stuff really did happen to me."
"I know it did, Kaydence."
"I don't want it to happen to anyone else."


"After breakfast I went to the bot place to try my hand at making trait chips.  I had taken the course the day before, so I hoped I had gotten it right."


"After making a trait chip I decided to look at the bots in the shop.  There was this one that caught my eye, it had 6 trait slots and was a cleaner and a cook.  Then I thought about it... why not?"


"So I bought it."
Sierra stopped her.  "Way to go, Kady!  So... does Uncle Bassy know?"
"Nope, he doesn't have a clue."


Years ago, when my brother was confronted with the truth about us Plumbs in Bridgeport, he ran from it.   He couldn't handle it.  He tried to reinvent himself, make himself into something, someone, he wasn't.  And he has suffered for it. 
I don't think any of the women in his life really knew him, because all this time, he has been acting.  He has been playing a role.  A measure of how good an actor he is, is how well people believed the role he played.  People bought it, hook, line, and sinker.

You can't run from the truth.  Eventually, it will catch up to you.


Now his daughter Kady, when confronted with the truth, has embraced it.  
I think growing up in Starlight Shores she kind of knew somehow that she was different.  What she didn't know was why. 

That day when the Grim Reaper bestowed his blessing upon my dad and his musical career, it has extended to his children and grandchildren. 

Welcome to being a Plumb, Kaydence.  Just a day in the life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment