Sunday, February 7, 2010

A Surprise Visitor


I was paid a surprise visit by Mr. Marc Wasem, head of the Egyptian branch of the International Adoption Commission (IAC). This is a separate agency from the one Samir Amin's relative heads. I'm told this is standard procedure for the commission, to visit the homes of prospective families. I don't know how many international visits they've made, however.



We made small talk about gardening, and he revealed that he has a French mother and an Egyptian father. Besides having a green thumb, I learned that he is artistic and lucky.




Dad came in and, of course, was bragging about my book being a best seller. I did mention that I am a writer and have liked doing it.
"Well," he asked, "will your writing interfere with taking care of the children?"
"Oh, no, absolutely not," I told him.





I caught a glimpse of my mother talking to him, and I have no doubt that it was about me. I have no idea what she said, though. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment