Monday, February 8, 2010

A Foray into Politics Part 2


I saw Lynn Sweeney, Andy's mother, walking in as I was. I wondered if she was going to tell him she saw me. I hoped I didn't have to go into hiding from him again.
In my speech I made the point that fish heaving was not only illegal but wrong for the fish and wrong for the environment.



An hour later, as I emerged from City Hall, I could see the sun beginning to disappear for the night and a canopy of stars taking its place.




Out of the corner of my eye I saw a newly brunette Bridgette Landgraab walking out of the building. While I was leaving I ran into Mr. Phillips, the councilman for the other side of Sunset Valley. I think he represents Andy's district. "You gave an excellent speech, Miss Plumb," he said in a rich baritone as he walked up to me.
Miss Plumb? How did he know my name?
"It's my job to know people's names around here," he laughed.



"You know," he began, "I could use a mouth like yours on my upcoming mayoral campaign."
I gulped. "Mayoral campaign?"
"Certainly. I'm running for mayor this upcoming term and I'm going to need some fresh new faces to help out. And you, Miss Plumb, are perfect."


I wasn't sure what to say. I can't see myself working on a political campaign, honestly. IMO politics is all the same. They say the same things, promise the same things, and yet nothing happens to make our lives better. So I told him, "I'll think about it, Mr. Phillips."
"Please," he said, "call me Harper. And you are Savannah, right?"

How did he know my name?


So, I went out to eat at the diner with Harper. I took the opportunity to bring up the child slavery ring I'd discovered while traveling in Egypt and my quest to adopt Satis and Imsety.
We got into an intriguing conversation about international adoptions. "Those types of adoptions can be tricky," he'd told me. "You have to abide by both your laws and theirs, and these laws vary from country to country, sometimes within countries. It's a fine line you're walking." He said he'd do what he could on his end to expedite the process.
I knew from talking to him that he was a genius, a schmoozer, and a workaholic. I found out before he arrived in Sunset Valley and got elected to the city council, he'd been a lawyer. "You're smart, you're passionate -- you can do absolutely anything you want to do," he'd told me.
"I'm an archaeologist," I reminded him. "That was the whole reason I first went to Egypt, then I ended up wanting to adopt these children."
"You know, archaeology has political ramifications, too, especially in your area of expertise, Egypt."
I didn't need Harper to remind me, I was now painfully aware of this. Although I like him and we're friends now, I can't see myself being a political wife, at all. Honestly, other than what I mentioned, I find him as dull as a dirty dishrag. During our dinner he spoke of nothing but politics and the mayoral campaign.

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to let you know that there is at least one person out there reading and enjoying your story. I check both this page and the WA page everyday for updates. I love it :) Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete