Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Mysterious photographs



I found two more mysterious pictures in my mother's nightstand drawer. She'd never mentioned these people before, so I asked her about them.
She came out with it, "They were my parents."
So that was it. These are the missing pieces to my puzzle. I decided I wanted to know everything there was to know about these people.

So I cornered mom. Absolutely cornered her. I just knew there was a lot of things she wasn't telling me, and some of them she didn't even tell my dad. I asked her for their names and everything she remembered about them. Her father was Edward Bellingham, and he'd been an artist and photojournalist who traveled the world. Her mother had been a German immigrant, Daniella, who only married him because she was pregnant.



I woke up at 3 am with my novel, "Interview with a Mummy" on the brain. It was a book I started after I left Egypt the first time, and I knew that in order to make the deadline the publisher set, I would need to buckle down and finish the book, even if it meant late nights. What's funny, about when I started writing this book, was that Aunt Margaret had notes in her laptop about a historical novel that was set in Egypt.

No comments:

Post a Comment