Wednesday, December 2, 2009

French Kiss Part 2


Ever since mom officially became Mrs. Nathan Plumb, she's been a different person. Really. She has. I mean, the day after the 'wedding' she asked me to ride my scooter. Dad says she's rediscovering the 'passion' that made him fall in love with her in the first place.



I fixed my first batch of nectar, and decided to go and take a sip.



To my surprise, mom was waiting for me. She talked about the weepy French movie she and dad saw.


Then she went into how she and my father met. "We were just kids -- both trying out for the orchestra," she said between sips of nectar. "I wasn't much older than you, to be honest. I'd heard of his reputation, I knew he'd been a bit of a ladies' man but I didn't care. But with me he was -- shy -- and remarkably self-contained. "
"Why'd he take so long to marry you?" I asked. "I mean, the two of you have one child a YA and another almost teen. If if were me, I'd have probably left."
"I think he wanted to keep his options open," mom said matter-of-factly, "but then he realized I was probably the only person left who'd actually put up with his flights of fancy." Mom laughed. A genuine, hearty laugh, one I hadn't seen from her in a long long time. I was glad to see it.


No comments:

Post a Comment