Monday, December 14, 2009

More odds & ends

It's been a whirlwind since I returned from France. First, I got a phone call from the school saying they wanted me to lecture on logic (!) to some of the kids. I said, okay, I'd do it on my day off. All they wanted me to do, really, was talk about the importance of logic and the different things a sim could do with logic knowledge. As most of you know, I'm good at chess and I enjoy it. I was president of the school's chess club, but I only let few people know I was.


So I got dressed the next day, put on my smartest outfit (what, did you expect me to show up in front of my brother's horny classmates in stiletto heels?), and walked inside the school building for the first time since I graduated. And, if I have to say so myself, the talk went pretty well.


Not sure this was part of the talk, though. Jeannine Ratliff caught me practicing guitar outside of the school after I'd got done talking. "Hey, you're pretty good," she said. I have to be, I almost told her. My parents are both musicians.

The next day I got up and ran into town for a few things when I ran into Noah. "I can't get over it," he began, "all grown up, you are."

"Yeah, well, I am," I told him, with a wide grin.
"I hear you've been traveling the world. Is that what you do for a living? Gallivant all over the planet?"
I really didn't feel like hearing a lecture from him about how I should stay home and get a 'real' job. "Well, technically," I explained to him, "I am an archeologist. I study ancient cultures and learn how ancient peoples lived. But in reality, yea, I am an adventurer. I comb ancient tombs for treasure and more. I love my job, really. Wouldn't trade it for the world."
"Well, you certainly look happy, Savannah," Noah finally said. "You're glowing." The biggest surprise about the meeting...was that he didn't mention the wedding. At all.



I ran into someone else out in town. Darrel. Yes, that Darrel, my ex-crush. And I was surprised at how...OLD...he looked. He looked like he hadn't slept in weeks and hadn't shaved his hair in days. We just stood there, waiting for one person to speak. Neither of us did, for at least ten minutes. I couldn't figure out who had changed the most -- him or me. What on earth had I been thinking when I lusted hard after this guy in high school?

We walked away from each other, our silence speaking volumes.

No comments:

Post a Comment