Saturday, December 5, 2009

French Kiss Part 3


I was in the nectary with my mom when my cell phone rang. One of the locals, who'd been excavating on the other side of town, wanted me to find something they'd left behind back at the old Celtic ruins dig site. Apparently he knew I was an archeologist. I told him I was on vacation with my family, but I said okay.
"Where are you going?" mom asked.
"I'm going to work," I told her. I could hear her heave a deep sigh behind me.


Within minutes I was off on another adventure. I was born for this, really. Now that I think about it, I can't imagine myself doing anything else.



After changing clothes, I arrived at the Celtic ruins site. I have to admit it's the first dig site I've been to since I started my adventures -- where I actually got goosebumps. And I think I know why. I was going right into the bowels of my heritage. I know I have French blood through my paternal grandmother and I have Irish/Celtic blood through my paternal grandfather.



While I walked inside, it seemed as though the place hadn't been disturbed in awhile. My favorite part of being an archeologist is the exploration of the ancient tombs and the discovery of the treasures hidden deep within them, waiting for some intrepid adventurer to find them. Most of the time it's just me and the voices of the ancients echoing around me.


The first room of the ancient Celtic tomb seemed empty and barren until I got to a pile of rubble. I have to admit I get pleasure out of chopping through those piles of rocks. Usually I find something good there.



Another thing a good explorer has to have are instincts. At that point my instincts were telling me that the wall behind the pile of rubble was hollow. A hollow wall meant the wall was blocking a door, and a solid wall meant there was no door there.


My instincts proved correct and before long I had gone through the secret door into another room. I love secret doors and switches, puzzles and trap doors.


I also love finding ancient coins. Simoleans are a fairly universal currency, but special merchants only take ancient coins for some of the rarest relics and adventuring supplies so I was glad to see these. I was afraid this wasn't why I'd been sent into this cave though.

No comments:

Post a Comment