Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Valedictorian

Screenshot-461

I can’t say I’ve been handicapping the valedictorian race over at the school very closely, what with AJ’s arrival and my own life unfolding, but a part of me knew that my youngest brother had the inside track on that honor. And I developed mixed feelings on that.

As most of you reading this blog know, I narrowly missed being valedictorian of my own high school class – mostly because at the beginning of high school, I was so insistent on doing my own thing, which meant skipping class, not doing my homework, and being brought home by the police instead of being in bed and getting ready for school – that by the time I did finally work my grades up, I missed out on being valedictorian by mere percentage points. I missed out on salutatorian as well, ending up ranking 3rd in the class.

So now, when I visited the mansion (it’s so strange calling my house “the mansion” – Andy and I and the kids now live clear across town, by Pinochle Pond), I ended up analyzing my brother’s chances to do something I didn’t – yet again. And they were very, very good – better than even money.

Bassy came up to me after work that night and spilled the beans to me. “Guess what, Vanna?” he began excitedly. “I’m valedictorian!”

“Wow that’s terrific, Bassy, congrats!” I said to him, giving him a big hug.

“Don’t tell mom and dad yet,” he whispered conspiratorially.

“You mean they don’t know?”

“It’s not supposed to come out till next week.”

I called the school and yes it’s true. My darling not-so-little-anymore brother, Sebastian Ryan Plumb, was just named valedictorian of this simyear’s high school class! And I’m the first person he told, even before he told mom and dad. Another thing, unlike my situation, where there were 3 good candidates, in his case it wasn’t even close. He blew them all away.

Valedictorian! Gosh things just came so easy for him. Everything. He was not only the smartest kid in the class but the most popular as well. He wasn’t much of an athlete but he was first chair in the school orchestra, he played Romeo in the school play, in addition to being in the honor society. It was just so smooth and effortless. He didn’t break a sweat at all. I can’t help but be a little bit jealous.

Dad dropped out of school, Noah was a B student, I barely missed valedictorian, and now he’s actually valedictorian. See a pattern?

Screenshot

I found this old pic of him and Neil while I was going through some things. How time flies, Neil is already YA while Bassy has a couple days left before his graduation and his birthday.

Now that Bassy is actually valedictorian – he wants to be a rock star??? Seriously, with that head on his shoulders, he could be a doctor or something. He’s selling himself way short.

I love my brother, in fact there isn’t anything in the world I wouldn’t do for him. He’s now beaten me at 2 things – first kiss and valedictorian. My brother has more talent in his pinkie than I have in my whole body. When it came to handing out genetic blessings, mom and dad saved everything for him. There’s a part of me that’s just a little bit sore. But there’s another part of me that’s proud as hell. I’ll be the crazy lady in the front row, clapping the loudest at the graduation ceremony.

No comments:

Post a Comment