Monday, March 1, 2010

Mom and me


Before we moved in to the new house, Mom and I needed to clear the air on some things. Truthfully, we've needed to clear the air for a long time.
"How are the renovations coming along?" she asked me over her famous pancakes.
"Pretty good, I guess."
"What about the adoption, have you heard yet?"
"Not really. These things take time."
"You know, Savannah, this is the longest period you've been home since you started your job."
I let out a deep breath. I didn't want to hear THIS from her again.
"I mean, you've barely paused for air since all this started. I'm not even sure why you felt the need to travel in the first place. You have everything you need right here at home."
My mother just doesn't get it. Sure, I went and found those relics, but I found something else too. I found myself. This is who I am. I'm not destined to lead the life of a socialite, which frankly bores me. Getting dressed up only to stand around and sip wine and gossip is not my style.



"You're my baby girl, my youngest daughter. Savannah, don't you realize that you are a part of me? You came out of me."
"So you wanted me to be like you, is that it? Well you got the physical part down. Other than my coloring we're basically twins."
"I would never have done half the things you have, period."
"Was it because you didn't have the guts?"
Mom took a deep breath. "I'm still getting used to the fact that you make your living digging in dusty tombs. It's not what I wanted but it's what you want and I have to deal with that. You think I liked the fact that my little daughter was sneaking off to go to the cemetery? You used to come home with your face all scratched up, you had all kinds of uncut gemstones, space rocks -- it shouldn't have been a shock to me that you do what you do now. You know, my father, he did what you do."
"Your father?"




"Sir Edward Bellingham. He was an archaeologist, sort of, except he wasn't a professional. He did it more as a hobby. He collected all sorts of gemstones and rocks and artwork. He was a journalist, normally, but he traveled often for his job. He was knighted by the Queen of England, then he left the country soon after that and met my mother. He was on one of his digs when he disappeared when I was a small child. They never found his body or his plane. All I heard about from my mother after that was how I caused him to leave her. In truth, my father was a restless spirit. Just like you."

No comments:

Post a Comment