Sunday, March 21, 2010

Me and Noah

Screenshot-425

Noah was walking up the hallway while I was in the kitchen. This is all the time with us, we’re always on the defensive with each other in a constant war of attrition. "Are you happy now?” he began. “You've successfully torn apart this family."

Screenshot-424
I decided I had enough. "You, Noah, lecturing me about family values. Boy, that's rich. Because, as far as I've gathered, Neil has never really had a 'family.'"
"And just what do you mean by that?"
"Can't you see how badly neglected he is? And the reason why he's acting out the way he is? You and Sadie are too damn busy to take any notice of that kid."
"You've got some nerve, Savannah. Look at you, gallivanting all over the world. Some fine example you're providing for your kids -- should you have any."
"Noah, I'm not going there."
"That's right, run away from the truth the way you've always done."
"No, I'm not running away from anything. I just don't want to deal with all this bickering, it's the last thing Neil needs to see right now."
"What do you care about what Neil needs?"

Screenshot-415

"Obviously a whole hell of a lot more than you do. I mean, he's happier here and it's beginning to show, so I don't want to hear it. Do you know he has not broken curfew once since he's been here? Not once. Not only that, but he goes to school, he comes home, he does his homework, and Bassy's just thrilled to bits that he's here. All the poor kid wants is for someone to show him that they give a damn.”

Noah rose his arms up in the air. There was a moment of silence before he spoke again "You know, you're right, Vanna, I -- I just want to thank you for taking him in like this. I -- I realize now that Sadie and I weren't really -- you know, cut out -- for this."

"Cut out for what?"

"Being -- being parents. And it's reflected on Neil. We've never -- never really -- been there for him, you know?"

"No need to thank me. It's Bassy you need to thank. And dad. They're the ones you need to talk to."

No comments:

Post a Comment