Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Neil and Bassy


I'm headed back to Egypt in a few days. As soon as I'm done with my next book. You see, I'm under contract with my publisher for 3 novels. Since Interview with a Mummy is flying off the shelves, I decided on another Egyptian-themed novel. I don't have a title yet, but it's kinda, sorta, a sequel to "Interview."
I’ve also been poring over legal documents on the internet, trying to study international adoption law.  The process is so agonizingly slow, I wonder if the children will be grown before a decision is made on the case. 

 

Screenshot-252 
You know, while I was working on my book, I heard the strangest thing. 

Neil's laughter.

Seriously, it's the first time since he got here that he actually allowed himself to laugh out loud. He's always been so withdrawn, quiet and keeping mostly to himself. It's good to see the two of them, Neil and Bassy, hanging out together. You'd never guess, though, that Neil is the one who is 4 days older than Bassy is.
 
Screenshot-443 
 

Bassy appears to be the tonic that Neil needs. I've seen how he hangs onto every word Bassy says.
But given who Bassy’s father is.... I really don't think it's a good idea having him as a 'role model.'  I mean, all Bas has to do is just flash that killer smile of his, and girls swoon and bat their eyelids. Although I've noticed how Neil still stays in the background, hanging back and letting Bassy steal the limelight.

Screenshot-414 

I am apprehensive though, when those two are together. They could get themselves into all kinds of mischief. Although I did tell Noah that Neil never once broke curfew, he and Bassy DID sneak off to the theatre one time. But hell, boys will be boys. They need to let their hair down at some point.

I was a teenager once.  Hell, I did worse things than those boys. I practically lived in the back seat of a cop car.   Mom and I were at each other’s throats almost every day. 

 

It's something we always seem to neglect.... feeding the fish.  But Neil took it upon himself to maintain the aquarium, diligently feeding the fish, cleaning the tank.  Even the maids conveniently ‘forget’ to do that, even though we pay them $125/day to do it. 

 

Screenshot-430

Let’s not go there about the boys’ appetites.  

Mom fixed a pipin' hot plate of burgers last evening, the boys ate them all by themselves.  Nobody else had any, not even dad. Then again, they are teenage boys, they’re supposed to eat to ballast those growing bodies (and out of control hormones). 

It was good to see Neil eating too.... he was so thin, his skin was in poor condition from snacking on junk food, and now it has a healthy glow.  At first he was merely picking at his food, staring at it as if it was some alien thing from another planet, then we realized why..... he’d been living on bread and jam and ice cream, and the only time he'd get 'decent' food, was at school, or the leftovers from a meal that Sadie would bring home, after she'd finished work. 

I thought dad was off his rocker, agreeing to take in Neil, but now, I see that he did the right thing. My nephew is flourishing. He's growing up so fast.

Dad was right.  Again.
One thing about my father that folks just don't seem to understand, is he may seem like he's 'out there' or his head is in the clouds. But he has his finger on the pulse of situations like no one I've ever known.

Now I understand why he's been so supportive of the adoption. Not once has he ever disagreed with my decisions but simply nodded his head..... he knew.... he's always known...but that's just dad… That’s just who he is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment