Saturday, February 21, 2015

Role Reversal

I've found out some stuff about my brother's TV show that he's doing.  
It's not even a TV show, it's on Simflix.  It's an internet show. 


Apparently he's playing a police chief attempting to find a serial killer, with his teenage daughter as a helper.   
I now know why he took this part. 
The latest rumor is, he's lobbying the studio hard for Kady to get that role.  But the producers want Alanna Starr Stanley (Emmy Starr and Alan Stanley's daughter), but Emmy might be asking for too much money... Stay tuned.  
And the thing is, I'm not even sure Kady wants to act...


Especially not if what I've seen and what she's told me is any indication... She seems more inclined to write than act.  She's at the computer typing nearly all the time. 


Kady says that before her dad left to go film the show, they had a ginormous fight.  It wasn't about one thing, she says, it was about a lot of different things.
"What do you want, Kaydence?"
"You know what I really want?  You to start acting more like a dad and less like an overgrown frat boy!"
"What more can I do?  I mean, I do my best.  I'm a working actor -"
"With an overactive sex drive.  Don't tell me you didn't hit on Tasha the other day -"
"I didn't know you saw that!"



"You run around like - ugh, you are my dad!  For Watcher's sake, will you act like it?"
"Kaydence Michele -"
"You really think this is a game, Dad!  It's not.  I've been babysitting you and Mom my whole life.  It's felt like I've been the parent, watching you two battle it out.  If Mom wasn't coming home stone drunk every night with a different man from her wild parties, it was you chasing down anything with tits.  And when the two of you were together, it was just, you two were fighting one minute and kissing the next, and then you'd go back to fighting again, the cycle was just endless..."

"Kaydence, I appreciate that you're such a serious, strong-willed girl, but I just wish you'd go out and have fun like the other kids - you're thirteen, not thirty-three -"
"I'm not like the other kids, Dad!  I never have been.  When the other kids talk about concerts, I've been to all of them and backstage at most of them because of Mom.  When the other kids talk about going to the movies, I've seen them already because I get advanced tickets for being your daughter.  When the other kids talk about parties, I've been to every A-list party in Simmywood and don't really like going.  I have nothing to gain from going to another party.  And I'm not ready to date yet, I'm hardly comfortable talking to anyone.  I prefer my own company, with my books."
"And I get that, Kaydence, really, I do.  It's just that -"
"Dad, I'm serious!  You need to start acting like you're my parent instead of me being yours!"


The more stuff that comes out of my niece's mouth about what happened to her at that house of horrors in Starlight Shores, the angrier I get.  Not at Madison, I kind of expect this kind of crap from her - after all, she thought she was being creative and show-businessy by spelling my niece's name with a K instead of a C - but my brother.  My beloved baby brother.
Bassy.
I know Andy is a gentle guy, but he would literally kill if anyone had done to his children what Madison has done to Kady.  Or even Imsety and Satis - and they're not even biologically his.
Bassy is as much to blame for the way Kady is as anyone - perhaps even more so, because he has had custody of her for the last six years.
It's even worse than I thought - and I thought it was bad, given that the whole thing blew up in a Hidden Springs courtroom.  A six-year-old girl with an eidetic memory on a witness stand testified to unspeakable horrors inflicted upon her by the two people who are supposed to love her the most.  I couldn't even get through the court papers completely when I started reading her testimony, I was shaking so much. 


Bassy, you really want to know why your darling little Kady is the way she is?
Do you really want me to tell you why you can't handle her and she has no respect for you? Listen, baby bro... I'll tell you.
Kady doesn't trust anyone.  And she's got no reason to, especially when she walks in on the man she's supposed to trust more than anyone wrapped in the arms of her nanny.
She's got no reason to trust anybody when the woman who's supposed to love her more than anyone in the world has told her to her face that she should never have been born.
The two people who are supposed to love and protect her and give her a safe home did not do that.
The two people who are supposed to help prepare her for the next stages of life did not do that.
The two people who are supposed to love her more than anyone in the world didn't even want her.


Her mother drags her to nightclubs, ridicules her for her love of books, and puts more makeup on her than I wear in a year, and you as her father just stand there and watch it all happen.  


Your little girl (and yes despite her protestations she is still exactly that) has wrapped a hard crusty prickly shell around herself, making it next to impossible for anyone to get close.  She's clammed up like a turtle, Bassy.  She has buried herself in books and copes with things by basically working herself to exhaustion. She goes to school, then does glee club, drama club, and debate, goes to work, and then comes home and does homework.  By the time she's finished with all that, it's time to go to bed.  And she barely even sleeps because she has nightmares.  That's no kind of life for a young teenage girl!  Yet it's the life your little girl is leading.
You did this to her, Bassy.  You and Madison, you did this. 
Once again, Bassy, I'm cleaning up your mess.  I've been doing it my whole life. 
It's going to take a miracle for Andy and I to undo what you did.  But we're sure as hell going to try for as long as we have her with us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment