Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Madison's Daughter


Remember I said that Kaydence had just enough of Sebastian's and Madison's genes to keep things honest?  Remember that I said that they were the most combustible set of genes I've ever seen?  Well I got evidence of that the very next morning.
The girls woke up to get ready for school.  Skylar was feeling particularly cheerful and decided to ask Kady if she slept well.


Kady glared at her with Madison's pout...


...then went off in the scariest rant I've seen since Sierra went off on me at the hospital.  "Oh, my gosh, Skylar, you've had it so great!"
Skylar looked confused. "What do you mean?"
"You've got two amazing parents who love each other, love your brothers and sisters, and love you. Right at this moment, I don't know where my mom is. Last I heard she was back in Starlight Shores. She hasn't called, texted, written, anything. My dad, ever since he got married, he's been MIA most of the time with his TV show. If I didn't have you guys, and Tasha, I'd have nobody. Wake up, Skylar! Not everyone has it as good as you. Not even close."
Kady's outburst had taken Skylar by surprise. She didn't know what to say or what to do. And when I first heard it, it had taken ME by surprise.  She's not as violent as Sierra is when she gets angry, raw earth-shakingly violent, but boy, Kady is plenty, plenty scary. 


She calmed herself down and went downstairs and ate breakfast with Sawyer like nothing had happened.  She's great with him and regards him as sort of the little brother she never had.  "Hey, little buddy," she said sweetly, "getting ready for school?"
"I don't wanna go to school," Sawyer replied.
"Why not?"
"It's boring!"
"Well, I hear you guys are going on a field trip today to the police station.  That might be fun."


Leave it to Andy, though, to diffuse the ticking time bomb.  He gave her a high-five and did a shaka bra with her...


After a chat about schoolwork, he then went into rare territory - even for him. "I understand how you feel, Kady," Andy replied.  "You feel like life has handed you a raw deal with your parents being who they are and what they did and are still doing, and you come here and you see this other little girl, same age as you, have two parents who love her and care for her. I get it, I really do.  Let me tell you something.  I haven't talked much about this.  I was adopted.  I was in an orphanage until I was eight years old.  I have no idea who my biological parents are.  But when I was adopted, I found someone who loved me and cared for me.  When I was fifteen, my adoptive mother and I moved in next door to this woman right here, your aunt.  I fell in love immediately.  We started dating, got married, and she gave me five beautiful children and the opportunity to give them what I never had.  Your aunt and I are going to try to do our best to give you what you never had, for as long as we have you."

No comments:

Post a Comment