Thursday, February 12, 2015

Kady makes a discovery


My beloved baby brother, who I've talked to on the phone numerous times but I haven't laid eyes on since Snowflake Day, took off again for an unknown locale.  Kady says he's gone to shoot a TV series.  Seriously?  My baby brother has never done TV before in his life, not even when he started out.  He's a film star. 


I think she's got a little bit of me in her.  So to uncover the truth she snooped around in my brother's financial records.  I about died of laughter when I heard this.  What she found, she says, was deeply, deeply disturbing.


"My dad's broke," she told me matter-of-factly.
"What do you mean, he's broke?" I asked her.  "He made a fortune with his films -"
"He owed people in Bridgeport and Starlight Shores so he used part of his inheritance from Grandpa to pay them.  And once the money stopped coming in from his movies, he couldn't sustain his lifestyle."
The more I listened to Kady, she sounded more like an attorney than my teenaged niece.
"He took the TV show because he needs the money to pay bills.  I've got a commercial acting job to help -"
"Listen, Kady, you're just a kid, you shouldn't be worrying about these kinds of things."
"From now on, Aunt Savannah," Kady said, "since I have access to his records, I think I'm going to be taking a second look at what he's doing."
I couldn't help but think that a teenage girl shouldn't be managing anyone's finances.  Not even one as precocious as my niece.


And Kady was dead serious about it, too.  Early in the morning she was writing her dad's checks and mailing them off.  "Hey, someone's got to," Kady said.
If Kady decides to make herself my brother's personal accountant... I pity my brother. 

No comments:

Post a Comment