Friday, May 21, 2010

Telling Andy


I knew immediately what I had to do. I had to tell Andy.
So right after I got off the phone with Marc, I hopped on my scooter to his place to tell him.


I noticed a distinct difference in his language and attitude since we started dating. Instead of referring to me as "Plumbbob" or some other smart-alecky name he calles me stuff like "Peaches and Cream" and "Emerald Eyes."
The "emerald eyes" one really gets me. When I was younger I hated being the only person in my family with green eyes. I started feeling better about them when I learned they came from my dad's Irish relatives. I actually think a few of mom's folks had them too.




"Remember I told you that I put in to adopt two kids from Egypt right?"
"Yeah."
"Well I just got a call from the head of the commission."
"They approved you?"
"If that's what Mr. Wasem meant by clearing customs, that's what he said."
Cheesebreath had a strange reaction. He laughed.
"What's funny?" I asked.
"I'm just -- I don't know -- dumbfounded."
"You have to meet these kids, they're fabulous. They deserve a better life, and I can give them that life."
"No, I'm not talking about the children. I'm wondering about you. Have -- have you given this any thought?"
"I've sure had plenty of time to think about it. I put in the application the second time I went to Egypt."
He laughed again.
"You're incredible."
Nothing special about me, I told him. "It's just the right thing to do. If I don't follow through on this I won't be able to live with myself."
I decided I needed to fill him in on the situation with the kids, about their abusive, controlling, greedy father and why their biological parents are separated.


"We're going to raise these children."

"We?"

"Yes, you and I. We're going to raise these children. Together."

No comments:

Post a Comment