Saturday, August 23, 2014

Rainbow Through the Clouds



Just as surely as the dark clouds over our lives appeared, in the form of all of Sierra's issues, a rainbow pierced its way through them, as if to say better days are indeed ahead.  (I know, I probably sound like my daughter Sage, who sees the good in everything and everyone, but in this case it's likely true.)


Two weeks after that monumental argument, where we screamed bloody murder at each other, my daughter Sierra was released from the hospital.  She was released under the condition that she continue counseling with Ms. Simpson and elixir therapy to regulate her behavior.


It didn't take long after her release for her to go back to playing in leaves with Andy.  They always did that together -- like they did pretty much everything else.


Other than Sierra's release, life went on pretty much as usual.  I read Sawyer bedtime stories at night...


... and Skylar made her teen birthday and prepared to go to Le Fromage, the performing arts school where she's got a scholarship.

Speaking of scholarships, Skylar did so well on the SUAT college entrance exam, she's already got one to the university.  And she just turned teen.  I have to admit I was blindsided by how well she did, considering her age.  I knew she was bright, and creative, and worked hard.  She's also eligible to take college-level courses in at least three subjects.  I think and hope she could get a full honors scholarship like Sage got.



She's even been performing after school for the firefighters, little sing-a-gram ditties, nothing major.  But still, she's getting her name out there and her foot in the door.


So, one day, Skylar looks me in the eye and she says, "Mom, I've got a gig." 
"What do you mean, you have a gig?"
She said, "I've got a job singing somewhere." 
And I look at her and say, what proprietor in his right mind signs a teenager for a performance without consulting her parents? 
I would definitely have to call whoever this proprietor is and give them a piece of my mind.  My little girl is not going to be singing in some seedy shack.


That evening at dinner I pulled Sierra aside and I asked her, point blank, "Sierramyst, are you ready to go back to school?"  She said she was.  



Skylar and Andy waved goodbye in the rain to the moving van after Sierra and I had packed it all up.  



It hadn't taken me long to realize this would be one of the most important trips I would ever make.  

No comments:

Post a Comment