Sunday, August 31, 2014

Brain Pickings




While on my way out of campus, I decided to check the university library for some information.  No sooner had that occurred than I was accosted by Dr. Wade Anthony.  He was the dean of the technology department and a computer science, mathematics, and physics professor on campus.  "Dr. Cheesman, what a surprise, you're back," he began in a hurried voice.  "I thought you were gone for good."
It took me awhile to be accustomed to being referred to as Dr. Cheesman.  "Oh, no," I told him, "I only came to bring my daughter back to campus."
"I remember, you said, she had some issues."
I sighed.  "Yeah, she still does.  But I'm hoping that this semester for her will go much better than the last one did."
"I trust that your pregnancy is also going well."
"Got some issues, age-related I think, but hopefully the rest of the pregnancy will be smooth sailing."
 Dr. Anthony decided to change the subject.  "I had your son in my department and a couple of my classes, Andrew, was it?"
"Andrew, Jr., AJ for short."
Dr. Anthony nodded.  "Oh yes, yes, I remember the young man well.  I could tell he's bright, but didn't seem at all motivated.  He did manage to graduate with a B average, because he's smart.  How's he doing, anyway?"
I nodded and told him that he's actually doing pretty well.  And he is, aside from his issues with Samantha.  He's at level 5 in the military and making pretty decent money.  I just wish he'd make up his mind regarding her, but that's another story for another time.


"Dr. Cheesman, I'm a huge fan of your work, I think you're a brilliant woman, I've read every single book you've written and most of the articles you've done for the scholarly publications, but there's this one question that's been bugging me."
"Listen, I'd love to stay and chat, but I must really be getting back home."
"Give me your number and I'll call you at my earliest convenience."


While he asked for my number, he also asked to autograph two of my books that he had with me.  The books had notes scribbled messily in the margins. 

No comments:

Post a Comment