Thursday, January 13, 2011

Response #7

Hey Bassy,

Just got done reading your (long) letter while waiting in the principal’s office. Yep, it’s Sety. He blew up the science lab.

He had noble intentions. He was taking the new class in inventing they offered at the school for extra credit. Apparently he was trying to build robot toys for AJ and Sage, and his blow torch got a little bit too hot. So, for the umpteenth time I’m trying to explain to his science teacher that he is not a native Simlish speaker and his Simlish, while improving, still isn’t the best.

Satis’ Simlish, by comparison, is much better. I actually think the key to her improvement is the fact that she’ll gobble up a good book like it’s something good to eat. The other big thing is everything she’s been reading – has been in Simlish. So I’ve taken advantage of this by piping Simlish literature down her throat and I got her a new part-time job at the bookstore. She’ll read anything, and I’ve started her on Aunt Margaret’s Moon Colony series.

Wow about Matthew Hamming’s new GF. She sounds like quite a character. I can’t say I’ve heard of her or her work, actually. She must be new to Bridgeport. And your boss sounds like someone I might actually get along with.

I’m glad you did what I told you to do, came clean about your relationship with Lola. These reporters need to be set straight. Otherwise the misinformation that they’re feeding their audience is just going to continue.

Screenshot-1279

I came home the other night from work when Halima made an announcement. “Today my last day of work.”

I nearly choked on my falafel. “What do you mean?”

“Tomorrow I go back to Egypt.”

“Going back to Egypt? Why?”

“I getting old. Me want to die in the desert.”

“Halima, you can’t leave now. Especially now that Satis and Imsety are teenagers. They need you now more than ever, to help navigate the tough social waters.”

“You no understand. I have no more visa. Visa go away today.”

“Can’t you apply for an extension at city hall? I mean, I’m sure they make exceptions due to extenuating circumstances. And these, definitely apply as extenuating circumstances.”

“I love Satis and Imsety a lot. They my children. But they no longer children. They growing up.” I could see her eyes welling up with tears.

Halima left that morning, before the kids even got up for school.

Screenshot-1473

Meanwhile, Andy and I had our first major ‘fight.’ He’s upset with me because I hired a butler to replace the departing Halima. Yet he sure slugged that French toast she cooked down, lol.

“Where’s Halima?” he began by asking.

“She went back to Egypt.”

“Went back, without telling us? That’s not like her.”

“Her visa expired and she couldn’t get an extension at City Hall.”

Screenshot-1471

A bit earlier, I overheard AJ ask Satis if she had any trash in her room. He should know better. Satis is neat as a pin. It’s Sety that’s the problem.

Screenshot-1459Screenshot-1472

Meanwhile, this is our new butler, Toya Patterson. She got immediately to work, fixing our broken trash compactor and making scrumptious French toast. “Why did you do this, and without consulting me,” Andy said. “We’re wasting twelve hundred simoleans and an extra room in our home to provide lodging for a butler. Halima was just fine.”

“Andy, Halima was getting up there in age. Her visa had run out so she returned to Egypt. You have to admit, this was for the best. Her time here had run its course.”

“I don’t understand how you could be that callous, Savannah. To just dismiss someone who was a part of our family. You fired her, didn’t you?”

"I didn't fire her, she left."

"But you didn't make any effort to stop her."

"I don't have that kind of power."

"Yes, you do. You just elected not to use it."

Andy and I didn't talk to each other for the rest of the day. I hate to say it, but things are a lot more orderly with Toya around than they ever were with Halima. She had breakfast ready for the kids, got them on the bus, fixed the trash compactor, made beds, and even dealt with Sage.

Will talk more later.

Love you, Savannah

No comments:

Post a Comment