Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Royal balls and state dinners

 

Screenshot-170

Yep that’s me, Savannah Plumb Cheesman, at the royal palace.  Why on earth am I there?  Two reasons.  One is I’ve been hired by the queen herself to stamp out ghosts before the royal wedding. 

And the other?  Does this gown give a clue?

The invitation, stamped with the family’s royal seal, arrived in my mailbox.  I still have it as a keepsake. 

Screenshot-171

Screenshot-167

The occasion was the formal birthday party of two of the most miserable little girls I’ve ever seen in my life.  Of course, I’m talking about the Vanderburg twins, Alexandra and Anastasia.  Thankfully my own children have never made these girls’ acquaintance and, given their petulant behavior, I’m not sure I ever want my daughters to even come into contact with them. 

Of course, the queen herself bears some responsibility for the way these girls have turned out. 

Screenshot-173

I sat down next to my father (!).  “What are you doing here?” I asked him.

“I got a royal invitation,” he said, “I’m supposed to perform at the wedding.”

“You?  Performing at the wedding? At your age?”

“Why not?  Especially if I can still do it.”

Just then I saw his eyes wander in the queen’s direction.  “Dad, don’t you even think about it,” I whispered. 

“Hey, Princess, I’ve been working on this song for the royal wedding.  Do you want to hear it?”

I can’t believe Dad is still composing songs at his age. 

  Screenshot-174

Just then, with Dad going to the restroom, I was joined by the Prince himself.  I must say, he is even better looking in person.

“I would like to know, Your Highness, just what is the secret to this very fertile soil?  My family and I have never had such tasty vegetables in our lives.”

The Prince, tearing into his slice of imported birthday cake, smiled a secret smile and didn’t say a word.  

No comments:

Post a Comment