Sunday, January 15, 2012

Visiting AJ

About a week ago, I paid a visit to my son AJ at Fort Starch Military Academy.  Putting him (and Sety) in that school was bar none the toughest thing I’ve ever had to do. 

Screenshot-35

Fort Starch is this huge campus with wood cabins surrounding the main building. 

Screenshot-45

I approached Sergeant Downey, the commandant in charge of AJ’s regiment (Sety has a different commandant and is in a separate regiment) and asked him if I could see my son. 

Screenshot-46

“Our different regiments have different visitation days and hours,” he explained.  “In your son’s case, his visiting hours are from 10 to 3 on weekends.”

“But it’s Tuesday afternoon.  I’m going crazy here, I have to see my son.”

“I’m sorry, Mrs. Cheesman, no exceptions.” 

It was the first time I’d ever been called Mrs. Cheesman.  I wasn’t sure I liked it.

I found out later that Sergeant Downey was the father of the boy AJ so mercilessly tormented.  Whoops. 

 Screenshot-47

Just then I caught a glimpse of my son coming out of one of the cabins.  I barely recognized him.  His hair had been lopped off, he had lost weight, and his eyes took on that lost-puppy-dog look.  I hoped that he had been chastened by his time at Fort Starch – indeed, it didn’t look to me to be a very forgiving place. 

“Hey mom.”

“Here, I brought you something.  Your favorite.”  I handed him a box of coconut crème cookies.  The butler baked them – but he didn’t have to know that.

  Screenshot-49

We stood there for a good ten minutes, just staring at each other.  Other than having my mom’s chestnut hair, he looks exactly like his father.

“Can I come home, Mom?” he begged.

Screenshot-50

It took every ounce of my strength to tell him no.  In a perfect world I would have scooped him in my car and taken him and no one would have been the wiser, as he is my son and the last thing I want is for him to suffer. 

“You have to serve out your sentence,” I told him, “if we let you come home, who knows what the consequences would be?”

No comments:

Post a Comment