Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A Midnight Workout


Ok, so I told you that dad is as fanatical about fitness as he is about music, and it all started with a fitness program he designed himself when he was in his teens. As a result, for his age he is in fabulous shape. His idea of cheering me up is dragging me to the weight room and 'training' me -- basically yelling while I lift weights.


"Harder! Harder! You can do it!"
"I'm trying, dad, but really, I'm exhausted, I've had a long day."
Of course, it's usually about more than pumping iron and cardio with him. It's usually that he wants to tell me something.
So we stopped.
"You know, dear, I've been thinking -- about Andrew."
I shrugged. Cheesebreath was the last thing I wanted to hear about. "What about him?"
"Well remember that night he brought you home while you were in high school?"
"How can I forget it? He caught me while I was on my way to the cemetery, but of course I didn't tell him that. I was so pissed off at him for wanting to play the police."
"That's the first time I realized he cared."
I shook my head. "He thinks he can 'rescue' me. He wants to play that 'knight in shining armor,' rescuing the princess. And there's Noah behind the scenes, egging him on!"
"You know, I'm not so sure Noah did anything."
"Dad, you didn't hear how he and Andy were standing there, plotting, like two criminals planning a heist! I'm telling you, they're thick as thieves."
"He's knocking at the door of your heart, Savannah," dad said, "and you won't let him in."
"Dad -- has it occurred to you or Noah that maybe, just maybe, I don't feel that way about him?"
"You're not so sure how you feel, are you?"
"I'm not even sure WHAT to feel at this point. Disgust at Noah for trying to run my life, anger at Andrew for listening to him, and surprise at you for taking THEIR side --"
"Savannah." Dad let out a heaving sigh.
"Has it occurred to you that maybe getting married is not at the top of my priority list right now? I mean, I'm trying to find that last relic and then I was sent to China --"
"Savannah, have you thought about why you want to find these relics? Perhaps it's not really these relics you're looking for -- it's something else. Something far less tangible than a couple of pieces of sculpture older than all of us put together."

No comments:

Post a Comment