Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Dreams of My Father


After finally getting to bed, I had a really weird dream. I was walking through a tomb...in Egypt...with my dad.
It was just him and me -- no one else was there.
"Dad," I called, holding his hand. "Dad, it's okay, I wouldn't show you this place if it weren't safe. It's the first tomb I completed here in Egypt.
Dad hesitated for a moment and then followed me through a door. "Princess, I don't know how you do this, hours alone beneath the surface, all the time."
"I wouldn't do this if I didn't positively love this work. I'm learning so much!"


We were tired walking so we decided to sit at this Egyptian table. There were two chairs. We sat there, looking at each other. Sometimes I think my father and I have an unspoken understanding, a secret language that only we share.
"Savannah," he'd told me, "I'm an old man now, and you know that fairly soon I'll be going on to the afterlife. I'm at peace with it, and know that I've lived a full and rich life. The thing I want most now is for my children to be content and happy. However, princess, even though you've been successful in your adventures and you're about to encounter fame the likes of which you've never imagined, you do need some interpersonal balance. And I believe that Andrew is that person who will provide that balance in your life that you need."

No comments:

Post a Comment