Monday, November 24, 2014

The show must go on


We Plumbs are, first and foremost, a showbiz family.  We have been ever since my grandmother, Jamie Jolina, plucked her guitar in front of her circle of friends at parties in her home in Sunset Valley.  Then, my dearly departed father took that showmanship to a whole new level first as a soloist in the Sunset Valley orchestra and then composing songs for movies and television.
However, I elected not to follow that path, and I have not pressured my children into it at all.  My youngest daughter Skylar, however, has come to it entirely on her own, without any pressure from Andy or me.  We have insisted that we will support her - with one caveat. 
Her education comes first.
And so, we have only allowed her to do auditions around town on Friday and Saturday nights, and not during the week.  And she's only allowed to do sing-a-grams in town on weekdays after she's done with her homework. 
So Saturday evening, after returning from the festival, she'd gotten enough experience points to do an audition in the park, which impressed Rolando the proprietor enough to schedule a performance on Sunday evening.  Since her performance ended at 9:30 on Sunday night, I was okay with this. 


Sometimes I don't know where Skylar gets the stamina.  She's taking acting classes, piano lessons, guitar lessons, dance lessons, and she's got straight A's.  She also has a partial scholarship to Sims University, but since she's taking advanced placement courses in school, I expect her to eventually have a full one like Sage had.


As for Kaydence, after she got into it with one of the other girls at the festival, I caught her kicking some of the decorative flamingos.  She hasn't quite figured out what she wants to do with herself yet, but she did enroll in drama courses and music lessons, and I think she dabbles in debate, too.  I don't know how Kaydence does it, either.  Kaydence is talking about emancipating herself from her parents, and she just turned thirteen. 


When we got to the park, who did we run into but Kaydence's mother, Madison, getting very close to Rolando the proprietor! 


In the very same breath, though, Madison shouted at him and argued with him.  I didn't hear what was said, but I imagine Rolando didn't take too kindly to what was said. 


During the show itself Madison and Kaydence stood feet from each other, but both literally and figuratively worlds apart from each other.  Neither acknowledged the other; but the facial similarities were more than obvious.  


My baby girl came out, wearing a full head of extensions and my sapphire earrings.  


Andy and I stood as proud parents in the front row, with our beaming smiles.

 
Even though Sierra would rather have been somewhere else, we did manage to convince her to come out in support of her sister.


Skylar covered two songs.  I had to admit she was a natural up there on stage.  But the last thing I wanted to do was become a 'stage mom.'  



She finished her performance, to wild applause.  Rolando responded:


Safe to say, baby girl MIGHT have a future in this biz. 

No comments:

Post a Comment