Monday, November 17, 2014

Faceoff




Soon after Ramses' birth, Satis started her medical internship at Sacred Spleen. 


"Mom," Satis called, late at night, "I need someone to watch Ramses for me.  Josh is at the fire station and I have to work, and I can only call the sitter a certain number of times a week."

 Being a grandma means having to babysit at the drop of a hat. 


So there I was with Ramses, who fell asleep on my shoulder.  I swore to the Watcher that I would never be a rocking chair grandma and there I was in a rocking chair with my grandson. 


As for this little boy's father?  After Josh repeatedly refused to answer any of my daughter's calls and couldn't be found anywhere, I'd gotten on my computer and tracked him down. 



I tracked him to a little two-bedroom frame house on Skyborough.


Politely, I rang the doorbell. 


When he refused to answer, I knocked.



Finally he answered.  "Satis' mother?"
"Yes.  I'm glad to see you actually retained something in that little pea brain of yours.  Now, my daughter's been trying to contact you for the last three days.  Where the hell have you been?"
"Uh - around?"
"Not acceptable.  My daughter and my grandson demand answers.  They deserve much better than the likes of you."
"I've been at the fire station -"


"For three days straight?  What kind of sucker do you think I am?  I know you're lying to me, I can see it on your face.  You might be able to get Satis to believe that lie, but I don't.  You hurt my daughter, you've hurt me.  That simple.  Listen to me, dodo brain, and listen good.  You do what you've got to do for my daughter and my grandson, or you will be forbidden to see either of them - forever.  No in-between and no dilly-dallying.  And you know I have the power to make that happen."

No comments:

Post a Comment