Thursday, October 30, 2014

Satis's First Child


 On top of the shock of losing my father, Satis dropped another bombshell on me. 


The other night at the funeral dinner, while she was consoling me, she told me she was pregnant.  "Mom -- Mom, I'm really sorry," Satis sniffed.  "I'm sorry this had to happen this way.  I know it's not appropriate considering the situation, but the child is almost due, and I thought you needed to know."
I heaved a deep sigh and buried my face in my hands.
"I apologize for not telling you sooner.  I know you were busy with Grandpa and dealing with Sierra's issues -"
I shrugged.  Speaking through muffled tears, I muttered, "Why, Satis?  Why?"
Satis shook her head.  "It - it just happened.  It - it was my first time.  It was after finals and -"
"Who's the father?"
"Joshua Davidson.  He works for the fire department."
I repeated his name in my head.  I didn't know him, nor did his name ring any bells.  "He must be new in town."
"Mom, don't start.  Really.  My baby is due in a couple of simdays.  I thought you'd be happy for me, but I guess under the circumstances I suppose I expected a little too much."

I knew the other night that she seemed bigger around the stomach area, but I just assumed she had gained weight.  Now I know. 



So, a couple of days ago, mom had invited us all for afternoon tea and music at her place.  She's not doing too well either but she's trying to keep her mind off of missing Dad. 


While mom played her renditions of some of dad's favorite numbers...


Sierra and I couldn't help but notice Satis' swelling belly.  I looked over at Sierra and could tell she didn't look too happy about it. 

 
It was clear to me that she was close to giving birth. 


And indeed, right after Mom finished, 'I Would If I Could', Satis' water broke.  While everyone panicked, I decided I needed to drive her to the hospital, even though I didn't really want to.


A few minutes after Satis and I had arrived at the hospital, a young man in a novice firefighter's uniform showed up.  I decided this had to be the infamous Joshua, the baby's father. 


Six hours after the last bars of the song played, Satis delivered a healthy baby boy. 


"So, you think you are ready for this?" I asked Satis as she walked to the waiting car.  Satis didn't answer me, instead walked straight to the car with her son. 


The three of us drove back to her place.  "Do you know who I am, Joshua?" I asked the knucklehead in the back seat holding my grandson.
"Satis' adopted mother?" he replied.
"Yes, dimwit, and don't you forget it.  Joshua, I swear to you, if you don't do what you're supposed to do for my daughter or my grandson, I swear to you and to the Watcher, I'm going to wring your neck."
Satis, driving, shouted, "Mom, this is not the time or the place for this."
We rode the rest of the way in silence.


"I don't believe this, Mom.  You should be happy for me."
"I'm happy for your first child, Satis.  What I'm not happy about is this situation.  You're still in medical school, you get yourself knocked up, and now you have a baby."
"Can't you see, mom?  Josh is a good guy.  Why don't you try to get to know him?"
"The only thing I know about this Joshua character is that he knocked you up and got you pregnant.  And you know I will bring all of my considerable resources to use in an effort just to find out who the hell he is.  For all you know, Satis, he could be a damned mass murderer!  How are you going to balance your residency and the baby?"
"I'll figure it out, mom.  Just trust me."
Somehow, that doesn't elicit much confidence from me, especially given the hapless, clueless cunt she's with.  

No comments:

Post a Comment