Tuesday, September 9, 2014

This Old House



The old house in Sunset Valley is pretty quiet now.
Imsety and Satis, the two children I adopted from Egypt, are long gone, and my two oldest biological children, AJ and Sage, have moved out on their own, as well.  Skylar's in her 'terrible teens' and Sawyer just started school.

You raise children only to let them go.

I've got three kids at home now (plus the one still in my stomach). 




Skylar's so busy, I hardly see her anymore.  Every week, it seems like she's auditioning for something different.  She goes to Le Fromage, the performing arts school.  We're shuttling her between dance classes, singing lessons, and art courses.   I suppose it's a good thing that she's so busy, lest she end up like her older sister. 


Speaking of which, I overheard Andy and Sierra at my dad's breakfast table, talking.   I think it's starting to hit him that she, too, will be gone soon, probably after she finishes her university studies.  There's a small chance that her issues may prolong this eventuality, but it's likely going to happen, even if she has to move in with a temporary companion. So, he's made it a point to spend as much time with her as he can. 
"Sierra, I know you've been sneaking out to the catacombs at night."
"Who told you?"
"I didn't need anyone to tell me," Andy replied, laughing.  "I know when you disappear at night that's where you're going.  Your mother used to try and hide behind the headstones to avoid the curfew, and she always got caught."
"She did?"


"Oh yes.  Your mother was rebellious and feisty.  Just like you.  Did you know that your mother used to correct the teachers in class?"
"You knew Mom when she was my age?"
"Of course.  In fact, when we met, she'd been assigned as my biology lab partner."
I heard Sierra laugh... out loud. 


"Dad, something I have to tell you."  Sierra crunched her cheese sticks in her mouth.
"What is it?"
"Dad, I've decided to try out for the football team at school."
"That's great, honey," Andy said, "you always did like to throw outside."


Then his face turned serious.  "Football's a contact sport.  That means you're going to get hit, a lot.  You know it's a big decision to make, Sierra, not something to be taken lightly - but you also know that whatever decision you make, your mother and I will support you in it."



Had a nice little surprise after Sawyer's scouts ceremony.  He and Sierra started randomly chasing each other around the school grounds.  I think he finally got her to laugh! 

No comments:

Post a Comment