Monday, April 21, 2014

Sierra's revelation




When I took Sierra to do her college entrance exam, she dropped another bombshell on me.
I was reading over my notes for the next day's class when she approached me.  I was a bit surprised, because Sierra NEVER corners me like this. 
After she'd told me she's a lesbian, I was wondering what else could come out of her hat.  Was she pregnant?  Did she kill someone?  What else could happen that hadn't already?  In the Plumb family, nothing shocks me anymore.  Or so I thought.
"Mom?"
"Yes, honey?"
"Mom, remember that night --"
"What night?"
"The night after we moved to Moonlight Falls, after you took that job as a curator there for their museum.  Most everybody had gone to bed, including you."
Sierra hadn't said 5 words to me since her coming out a few weeks back, so this was coming as a surprise to me.
"Mom, I was abducted by aliens."
I looked up from my book.  "Sierra, what?  Abducted -- what?  Are you serious?"
Sierra said nothing as she looked at me.  Then she recalled that night for me, in such vivid detail, you'd have thought the event had happened yesterday.





"I had just come from the summer festival and I had just finished whipping Jules MacDuff's butt in one-on-one soccer.   He had no chance against me and he knew it.  When I powered my last kick past him, he said, 'You're better than everyone on our team.'  Pathetic little wimp.  Anyway, I had beat him badly, embarrassed him, really, and I had come home to rest."
I vaguely remembered Jules MacDuff.  He was the boy in Moonlight Falls who told Sage he was crushing after Sierra.
Sierra has her dad's soccer-player genes, with broad shoulders, strong legs, and huge mitts that seem like they have Velcro on them.  She's not thin and waifish like Sage and me.  She may well be the best athlete of my kids, even better than her brother AJ.


"I went outside to enjoy the crisp cool night air when suddenly I heard a noise.  I looked up to see what it was...


"I was like, no, it couldn't be...  but it was.  Definitely an alien spaceship."

 


"It beamed a laser down to me.  I tried to run, I tried to escape, but the light was too strong... it scooped me up before I even knew what had happened."


"I don't know the alien's name, and I don't even remember what happened once I was on the ship.  I guess I blocked it out or something.  All I know is that I was gone about an hour earth time."




 Suddenly things started to come clearer for me.  Was this what had happened to my dear little Sierra, what had caused her to change so much and so drastically?  Why she'd withdrawn from all of us, why suddenly she'd become a person I didn't even like?  Why would the aliens pick my daughter?  Why couldn't the aliens take ME instead, if they wanted someone?  She was just a kid.  Pick on someone your own size and age.  I felt guilty that I wasn't there to protect her and to stop this from happening.  I was angry.  These creatures took my daughter away from me, a little girl that in many ways I would never get back.  Sierra was not the same person after the abduction, and probably would never be again.

After talking with her, I had more questions than answers.   But I really think she's going to be okay. College might do her the world of good.

No comments:

Post a Comment