Saturday, April 3, 2010

Now Ari's mad at me, too!


If all I've already detailed isn't bad enough, I had a major fight with Ari recently, too.
"Well, if it isn't the jet-setter herself," Ari said snottily.
"If you must know, Ari, I haven't been abroad in quite awhile."
"You haven't been here either, Vanna."
"I know. There's been a lot of stuff going on at home. We remodeled the house, I signed the contract with my publisher, then my nephew moved in and I had to get him settled. It's been crazy."
"So you finally decided to come and see little old me."
"Ar -- it's not even like that. "
"Too busy for me or anybody, is that it?" Ari tore into me and I had to stand there and take it. "I call the house, your dad or your mom answers the phone. 'Oh, Savannah isn't here. ' 'Oh, Savannah went to the library. 'Oh, Savannah went to the art gallery.' 'Oh, Savannah is speaking at city hall.' 'Oh, Savannah took her brother fishing.' It never ends."
"Ar, I'm sorry, I've been going through a lot lately."




My cell phone rang. "Sorry, I've got to take this call, it's my publisher."
Ari shook her head. "See, Vanna, that's exactly what I mean. It's like -- it's like you've gotten too big for anybody. Andrew has said the same thing."
I frowned. "He has?"
"Yep, he called the other day and says you don't return his calls. Vanna, he is madly in love with you and you've treated him worse than three-day-old garbage. Don't expect him to wait forever."
What Ari -- and my mom -- don't understand is I just don't feel -- that way -- about Cheesebum. He's a friend to me and that's it, really. I can't see myself on a farm with him, barefoot and pregnant, popping out babies like you pop out bubbles with bubble gum. I've accomplished too much for that kind of life and I still have ambitions to do more things.

No comments:

Post a Comment