Monday, October 5, 2015

The Vaughan Prize - Part Two



Guess what guys?  I won!



Andy says anybody with a pulse knew I was going to win.  I disagree.  I wasn't so sure because I was up against books by several excellent writers, all with a lot more gravitas than me. 
So I went to make my speech at the luncheon and pretty much drew a blank.  I hadn't prepared anything.
I hate those award shows where the winners are so disingenuous and know they've won ahead of time and prepare these long drawn-out speeches thanking everyone and their brother - and not meaning any of it... but I digress.
This time the winners were not notified in advance, only the nominees.  That's the way it should be. 

 
 
The Vaughan Prize is Simland's highest literary award.  Every year only a few books even get considered.  My Aunt Maggie had been nominated twice but never won, so in a sense winning it - finally - was as much for her as it was for me.  After all, she'd taught me everything I know about telling a story.  Which explains why the award now sits on my writing desk, right next to Maggie's picture.
The protagonist of my prize-winning book is named Mairead O'Connell.  Mairead is the Irish form of Margaret. 
 
 
Now, I get to pass those very same lessons on to another eager student.  My own niece, Kaydence (Bassy's daughter by pop star Madison Avenue), has said she wants to write (among other things) and in fact is at work putting the finishing touches on her debut novel. 
For perspective, I didn't start writing seriously until I was in Egypt, well after high school.  She's going to have me beat by several years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment