Monday, October 12, 2015

Secondary guardian


Nearly seven years ago, when Sebastian and Madison finally split, I went to court in Hidden Springs and helped him get custody of his daughter, Kaydence. 
Back then, the judge did something that was highly unusual in these types of cases.  When he awarded custody to my brother, he also made me a 'secondary guardian.' 


Of course, since he was living in Starlight Shores and I was in Hidden Springs and Moonlight Falls at the time, I wasn't able to really keep in tabs with the situation.
But apparently, when the judge made the unusual step of assigning a secondary guardian, he had access to information that I didn't, he knew things about the case that I didn't.
Knowing what I know now about the situation through the court papers and from Kaydence herself, not only was the assignment of the secondary guardian prudent, but necessary.  


And so, after Kaydence ran away following an argument with Sebastian and was found three days later in the cemetery next to my dad's grave, I used my powers as secondary guardian to get custody of her.  It was one of the most difficult things I've ever had to do... but damn it, one of the most satisfying, too.
This girl went through six years of hell with Madison, then six more years with Sebastian.
Her hell is over.   For good.


In a way, this was seven years in the making. 
I never talked about this, but the very night before we even went to court, there was a formal dinner party at Sebastian's rental house in Hidden Springs.  I was reading over the publisher's draft of my book at the time (Alys in Wonderland) and I looked out of the corner of my eye and there was a little girl beside me, reading a thick book.
It was Kaydence.
Keep in mind, I'd only talked to her once before, that day before, when I'd actually seen her in person for the very first time. 
When I saw this tiny little girl, blocking everything out with her nose in a book, I couldn't do anything but laugh to myself.  We were communicating without saying a word.  There was already an instant connection.


Not a lot's changed, actually... except instead of books, we're reading on tablets.   Madison used to straighten Kaydence's hair, but Kaydence stopped straightening it and prefers to wear it long and curly. 






Ever since I got custody she's been much happier.  She's even got a boyfriend - well, sort of, but so far she's managed to keep the fella at arm's length.  I don't know how much longer she can, though.  He seems rather persistent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment