Saturday, March 31, 2012

Home Is Where The Heart Is Part 2

 

531074_138508086277502_100003549346559_139394_143780858_n[1]

So, as you guys know, my family and I are back home – Sunset Valley, that is.  We’re here because my father is receiving a Lifetime Achievement Award, and a new arts facility, the Nathan J. and Shandra B. Plumb Performing Arts Center, has opened.  The facility was so named to honor my parents’ substantial contributions to the arts in Sunset Valley. 

They even let Sety out of Fort Starch on furlough so he could participate in the festivities.  AJ has been out for some time. 

AJ was shook up by Fort Starch, but Sety wasn’t fazed at all.  At least, as far as I could tell.  It’s quite possible that I have no idea what Sety went through in Egypt.  Satis tried to tell me but the words were even hard for her.  The abuse they went through at the hands of that crazed madman known as their biological father was just inconceivable to my affluent, Anglo-Saxon, Western ears.  And I think Satis has basically blocked it out while Sety has had more problems dealing with it.  Maybe I should have them talk to Sage’s counselor. 

After the Egyptian dictator Hosni Mubarak was overthrown, their biological father, Samir Amin, who was apparently running a covert operation in the guise of a computer business, was thrown in jail too. 

Which is why I was so against Satis going to Egypt. 

Oh and I found out something else about Sety.  He is dyslexic. 

Screenshot-608

Returning to Sunset Valley is fraught with emotion.  I was born and raised here, my father was born and raised here, my grandmother established her practice here.  We have deep roots in this town.  Of course, the emotional part of me wants to come back here permanently, but the sensible part of me knows that it’s not really possible, especially with my new job as Hidden Springs’ minister of culture.  Also, with my children growing up, it would be selfish of me to uproot them again, after I’ve done it before.  Sage still hasn’t recovered from the last move. 

Screenshot-671

The Nathan J. and Shandra B. Plumb Performing Arts Center is a HUGE facility right by Summer Hill.  When I say this place is big, I mean it. There is a big stage right near the front along with an entrance. 

Screenshot-653

The first act we got to perform there was a magician, Azzie the Magnificent.  (Click the picture to see the Facebook album we made of the event)  Sage is apparently a big fan of his, and Bassy even got an autographed poster for her after his performance was done. 

Screenshot-652

Stay Tuned for Home is Where the Heart Is Part 3 – Getting Madison Avenue to come to NJP. 

No comments:

Post a Comment