Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Home Is Where The Heart Is Part 1

 

Screenshot-572

Hello again, c’est moi, Savannah Plumb Cheesman, catching a break. 

Two days ago we arrived in Sunset Valley, my birthplace and hometown.  Why?  We’re here for the dedication of the Nathan J. Plumb Performing Arts Center, which was recently built. 

Screenshot-579

Even my kid brother, Bassy, is here, having emerged from his month-long seclusion.  I worry about him, seriously.  I can’t help it.  Ever since he was born, it’s always been my responsibility to protect him.  It’s what I do.  I haven’t done that and I feel bad about it.  I never wanted a little brother, but now that he’s here, I don’t know how I ever lived without him.

He did this once before, when he’d just turned teen, I’d gone to Egypt and he pretty much clammed up.  Shut himself off from the world.  Wouldn’t go anywhere, wouldn’t answer the door, just shut himself up in his room.  So I know something is up, I just haven’t figured out exactly what, yet. 

Screenshot-615

Meanwhile, he has been entertaining my kids with his renditions of dad’s guitar compositions.  Sage in particular loves him to death.  He gave her one of his golden retriever puppies. 

Screenshot-415

Back in Hidden Springs, just before we left for Sunset Valley, we were surprised by a personal visit from the Queen herself.  “What can I do for you?” Andy asked.

“I’d like to see your wife, if you don’t mind,” I heard the queen say in her haughtiest voice.

Screenshot-514

Of course I was in no condition to see anyone.  After all, Skylar had been running me (and all of us) completely ragged. 

[image]

In fact, Max, our new butler, almost quit because of Skylar.  She is a handful, far worse than any of my other kids combined. 

“Mrs. Cheesman,” she began, “I’ve left an invitation to my son’s wedding in your mailbox.  But that’s not why I came here.  I came to personally appoint you as minister of culture for Hidden Springs.”

I gulped.  “Minister of culture?  What’s that?”

“In layman’s terms, someone who arranges the community’s entertainment.  You would also oversee the art museums.”

I had to admit the position intrigued me.  After all I did grow up in show business and still have plenty of contacts in the industry.  Between Andy’s sports acquaintances and my Simmywood acquaintances, we pretty much have the bases covered.

[image]

The first act I booked in Subalpine Square was a magician, Azzie the Magnificent.  The kids loved him, especially Sage.  Sierra could care less, lol.

[image]

Next was a pop singer called Yours Truly.  Apparently Princess Anastasia (one of the Vanderburg twins) showed up wearing only her bathing suit in front of the guy, which my kids and I found hilarious. 

Screenshot-559

And the other day Andy took the kids to see Marcelo the Flexible perform his high-wire act in the Coliseum. 

So we leave for Sunset Valley, for this dedication ceremony.  I’m actually kind of dreading it.  I just know something is going to go wrong. 

No comments:

Post a Comment