Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Counseling part 2

 

Screenshot-27

Now it was my turn to pay a visit inside the private office of Dr. McGaw. 

“Savannah Plumb Cheesman, right?”

“Yes.”

“Daughter of Nathan Plumb the composer and Sandra Bellingham Plumb the former orchestra conductor.”

I nodded.  How did he know who my parents were?  They couldn’t have been that famous – were they?

“I think I’ll cut right to the chase.  I have spoken at length with your daughter – and I have to tell you – she is very – I can’t say she’s angry, because anger is not the emotion I’m looking for here – but she’s quite frustrated with you.”

“I don’t see why.  I give that girl – and all my kids – I give them everything.”

Screenshot-22

“Except yourself.”

“Are you kidding me?  I don’t come home from work until three in the morning.  The kids are in bed by then.”

“What kind of work do you do, Savannah?”

“I’m a paranormal expert.  Right now I go around town collecting spirits and detecting paranormal activity.”

Screenshot-31

“Your daughter tells me you’re also into archaeology and academic work.”

“That’s my profession, primarily.”

“Sit down, Savannah.”  He made the request with a quiet authority, like my dad.  He never rose his voice.

Screenshot-33

“Tell me this truthfully, Savannah.  Has your job interfered with your ability to be a good parent?”

I took a deep breath.  “Well, I haven’t spent as much time with my children as I would have liked due to my career, if that’s what you mean.”

“Would you consider yourself a workaholic, Savannah?”

“Uh – I, uh, happen to enjoy my work, if that’s what you’re saying.”

“Do you bring your work home?”

“Sometimes.”

“Your daughter tells me that they don’t see you for days at a time. Sometimes weeks, all because of your job.”

“My career requires me to travel a lot.”

“And you enjoy traveling.”

“Yes, I do.”

“Do you enjoy traveling because it takes you away from your children for long stretches at a time?”

“I like traveling because it allows me to learn things about different cultures.”

Screenshot-26

Dr. McGaw seemed to pivot to another strategy.  “Savannah, you have the two boys at Fort Starch boot camp right now, ordered there by a judge because of bad behavior.”

I nodded.

“Your youngest daughter, the little one, is already skipping school and has disciplinary problems.”

I nodded again.

“The teenage daughter, the one who wrote the letter, is basically begging you to spend more time with them.”

I let out a deep sigh.

“And you don’t think this is a problem.”

“Oh, I know this is a problem.  That’s why I’m here.”

No comments:

Post a Comment