Saturday, July 23, 2011

Noelle

 

Screenshot-142

The phone rang the morning after the birthday party.  It was Neil’s girlfriend Noelle.  She said she wanted some fresh-picked veggies for a meal she was cooking. 

I have to say I was stunned by her call.  Not just because she’s actually making overtures to our family.

I can’t say I’m comfortable with their relationship.  After all, at one point Noelle briefly dated my brother, Sebastian, but I suspect now that he only dated her to make Daisy Ramsey jealous, that he didn’t have any real feelings for Noelle.  And now, as soon as they leave high school, not only does Noelle start dating Neil, but she moves into the Alto mansion and is now pregnant, with Neil’s child.  I have to admit that aspect of this whole situation makes me a bit uneasy. 

Screenshot-146

Noelle was at the park, where her pregnancy was plainly evident.  I can’t say I’m entirely comfortable with the prospect of my nephew becoming a dad and I’m even less comfortable with the likelihood of becoming a great-aunt, so when I saw her, all I could muster was, “Here are the veggies you asked for.”

“Oh, thank you so much,” she gushed, reaching for me.

I grabbed her by her upper arm.  “Are you all right?” I asked.  “Need anything else?”

“No, Savannah, I’m fine.”

“How’s Neil doing?”

Noelle took a deep breath.  “Not well.  I love him but I worry about him.  Ever since his mom died and his dad got sick…”  Her voice trailed off. 

“You have to understand, Neil is in no way, shape, or form ready to be a father.”

“He’s been through a lot.  He talks about you all the time.  He talks about you more than he talks about his parents, honestly.”

“You do realize that the two of you are going to have to grow up, very quickly.  Raising kids is a very adult thing.  You’re just a couple of kids playing house.”

“It just happened, really.  We -- we didn’t plan it.  I mean, I’m reading all kinds of pregnancy books, and I’m trying to watch my diet and stuff, and make sure I get my regular massages, and keep having good moodlets so the child can be born with good traits.”

“I just, I’m worried, that’s all.  You two, you’re just kids.  You have no idea what is coming.”

“What do you mean?”

“You can read all the pregnancy books you want to, you can get your regular massages and have good moodlets to make sure your kids have good traits, but you never can fully prepare for parenthood.”

No comments:

Post a Comment