Thursday, September 13, 2012

Moonlight Falls

Every once in awhile, my job as a paranormal expert affords me an opportunity to do something grand, to do something that would actually mean something.  Recently, I was granted that opportunity, and despite protests from my two oldest daughters, who were in agreement about something for the first time EVER, I went ahead and accepted that opportunity.


I arrived in Moonlight Falls at about 8 am on Tuesday after catching a red eye from the Riverview Airport.  (Hidden Springs doesn't have an airport, I learned this when I was seeing my oldest son, AJ, off to Shang Simla.)  Moonlight Falls reminded me a lot of Hidden Springs, actually, especially with the mountains. 


My first stop was Aleister's, a consignment store.  But it was unlike any other consignment store I'd ever been in.  For starters, the place was covered head to feet in old books, tomes, alchemical manuals, and tools to aid in the quest for knowledge.  Now, this intrigued me, given my lifetime passion for history and everything old.  My assignment here in Moonlight Falls was to investigate the source of new paranormal activity and to interview members of two families, the Van Goulds and the Wolffs.  The Van Goulds were supposedly vampires and the Wolffs were werewolves.  Now, I'd only encountered vampires on a couple of occasions in Hidden Springs, myself, and most of them were green tinged. 
The reason I was sent here and the reason I asked to come, was because I'm hard at work at yet another book. 
That's what I do for a living, I write books, and the money from my books pays for my adventures both in Simland and overseas.  People are shocked when they find out what I do.  Even my oldest daughter, when she found out, recoiled in horror.  My middle daughter thinks it's the coolest thing on earth.  My plan is to make a return trip to China, and probably with my kids in tow. 


I came across an ancient tome, with texts dating back to the medieval period.  The texts mentioned an arboretum where fairies were plentiful.  Fairies, eh?  Hmm. 


The author of the text was Balin, a super-powerful wizard who lived in medieval times.  He had been the mentor and second father-figure to Alys de Montfort, Queen Alys of Arkovia.


The second author listed in the text, was, surprisingly enough, Queen Alys herself, who studied under Balin and dabbled in alchemy and magic.  Queen Alys' mother died during childbirth, and her father, King Edward, had been killed with his own sword by his ambitious nephew, Prince Michael, who had designs on the throne.  This left Alys parentless, and she was raised by her great-aunt Cordelia and by this wizard, Balin. 


Balin and Alys mentioned an arboretum in their texts.  The arboretum was surprisingly well preserved over the simcenturies.  After hours of searching for fairies in there... all I found was some fairy dust.  Oh well.  I suppose that's something.  I'll go back to the texts and try again later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment