Thursday, April 30, 2015

Who saw THIS coming?


Certainly not me.

Late last year, my middle daughter, Sierra, was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, a milder form of autism, and oppositional defiant disorder.   It was the answer to years of searching, and years of her strange behavior.



Since then, Sierra has obtained her degree in physical education and sports science from Sims University - with honors -



and is now in her rookie season on the Llamas soccer team.



Sierra has always been a loner.  She's always had difficulties with making and keeping friends.  Even in college she pretty much kept to herself.



But since the arrival of my niece, Kaydence, they've practically been inseparable.
Kaydence is the daughter of my younger brother, Sebastian, and his ex-girlfriend, pop star Madison Avenue.



None of us can really figure out why Sierra and Kaydence have clicked.    My brother and I have attempted to put our heads together to try to speculate as to why this has happened.
My brother says that when Kaydence was little, she didn't really talk to the other kids - instead, she talked to their parents.


My brother also says that Kaydence read everything she could put her hands on.  She preferred books to dolls and stuffed animals. 
I only met Kaydence once when she was little, on the day of one of her custody hearings when she was seven years old.  Even then, she seemed much older than her years.  When she was asked which parent she wanted to live with, she told the custody judge, "Do I have to live with either of them?"  That was her answer, at seven years old. 

What's become clear, in talking with Bassy, is some of the same stuff has come up for both girls. Teacher after teacher has told Bassy that "Kaydence doesn't socialize with the other kids," and "She seems to be a loner." When he talks to Kaydence about it, she's not at all displeased. 

Kaydence doesn't have the record Sierra does, and she didn't start seeing a psychic at twelve, but boy, this thing about creating the fictitious utopia with the dews and the character/alter ego to match has to be the equivalent.  And she does have a mischievous side that she did inherit from Bassy himself. 


 When Sierra and Kaydence disappeared this last time after feast day, I finally had to break the news to Bassy. 


"She did - what?  Made up a - what?  Utopia?  How long have you known about this, Vanna?"
"For awhile now." 
"She's writing books about this?"
"Yes."


I decided not to tell Bassy everything I knew, that the rest of it would have to come from Kaydence herself, should she choose to tell him. 


And given the current status of their relationship.... I don't see that happening anytime soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment