Thursday, May 5, 2011

Mom's Surprise Announcement




Don't ask why but I decided to pay my mother a visit. And my mother has this hare brained idea to run for the at-large seat on the Sunset Valley city council.

I mean, I understand it's something to do and she's bored now that Bassy and I are out of the house... but still, it's a little surprising, considering we're decidedly apolitical.

Digging further, though, it's not so surprising that mom has political cajones. Her paternal grandfather, Sir Henry Bellingham, was a member of the British parliament. Even further back, another ancestor was a special aide to one of the British kings.





"Dear, sit and look pretty for the cameras," she told me as I sat next to dad. Talk about awkward. I'd rather be in the bottom of an Egyptian fire pit.




I don't know about mom's chances for winning. She's running against a pretty formidable candidate, Christy Gustafsson. Apparently Ms. G is well established in political circles. Mom has name recognition as the former conductor of the Sunset Valley orchestra so she has going for her. Ms. G's politics are pretty strange, though. She once led a protest against marriage in front of City Hall.

No comments:

Post a Comment